Woven Magazine Purse

What I really like about attending Relief Society is that I am able to get to know other Sisters and also I enjoyed doing something with them. I so appreciate how they are willing to share their time and talent. I'm grateful how they are willing to learn, to help and to forget problems in a few hours and just enjoy for a while.


Just like our last Relief Society Activity, we have made purse out of old magazines by weaving technique. The theme for this activity is homemaking and our objective is to teach sisters on how to recycle old magazine and make it useful. 

Materials:
Old Magazines
1 roll Clear tape adhesive 3" for covering
1 roll Clear tape adhesive 1"
Scissor
Glue gun and glue stick
Velcro 3/4"

Procedure:

1. From the old magazines I have, I chose pages that coordinates colors. This ways your purse will look nice. 
2. Fold in half. Every one page, I can make 2 pieces of strip. I chose this width. You can make 4 strips if you want the width smaller.
3. Fold in half and towards the center.
4. Put adhesive tape to make sure this will not open when we start weaving. For the first purse I made 15 strips. It will depend on how wide and depth your purse is. It is better to plan and count before start weaving.


1. To start weaving, place 7 vertical strips. arrange this vertically and use 1" tape at the bottom of the paper strips just to hold the paper in place.
2. Start weaving. Alternately insert paper strip into the vertical strip. (Tip: Make sure you press each paper so you won't have problem during weaving and it will look messy and bulky if you won't press neatly.)
3. Make sure to place 1" tape to hold in place each time you insert paper.
4. After weaving, it either you cut the ends of the paper or fold and insert it. For me, I prefer to fold and insert. It looks neat but a little difficult. But I think every one will enjoy.


 1. Make sure which side you want to show outside. Decide where to fold. For me, I decided to fold at layer 3. Place some small tape to some points to hold. 
2. We have to cover the whole paper with 3" clear tape adhesive. This will protect our purse from water. It is better to start on the sides.
4. Press gently.
5. Fold at layer 3. Fold the remaining to cover the purse. Put adhesive on the side. Place the velcro on the center.

That's it! And here are my finished projects! :-) I'm using it now. I'm happy with it.


Hope that you understand this simple tutorial. If not, you can get resources from youtube. Here's a link for video tutorial:







ENJOY EVERYONE!


Post a Comment

0 Comments